Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Ayr, Alloway, Alloway Auld Kirk

Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Ayr, Alloway, Alloway Auld Kirk

Classification Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Alloway Church

Canmore ID 41599

Site Number NS31NW 2

NGR NS 33191 18051

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/41599

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Ayrshire
  • Parish Ayr
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kyle And Carrick
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS31NW 2.00 33191 18051

(NS 3319 1805) Alloway Kirk (NR)

OS 1:10000 map (1981).

NS31NW 2.01 NS 33199 18061 Churchyard

Alloway Kirk, dedicated to St Mungo (H Scott 1920), is a simple gabled rectangle, 40ft by 20ft internally, said (J Paterson 1847) to have been built in 1653. Though its belfry, a typical 17th century example, contains a bell dated 1657, the building clearly incorporates many features and fragments of medieval date (G Hay 1957). Alloway is mentioned in 1236; in 1690 the parish was annexed to that of Ayr and the church was allowed to become ruinous. (See also NS31NW).

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1897.

'Alloway Kirk', now roofless and ruinous, is generally as described. There are blocked-up arched doorways in the N and W walls. The date '1516' is inscribed over the doorway in the S wall. (Chalmers (1892) states that the church was built in 1516.) The remains are in good condition.

Visited by OS (JD) 15 December 1955

No change. As stated by Hay, some architectural details, particularly the twin-pointed window in the E wall, suggest a pre-16th / 17th century date.

Visited by OS (JRL) 2 October 1980

The roofless ruin of this medieval parish church stands on the S side of its walled burial-ground. It is gable-ended and rectangular on plan (13.95m by 7.7m within walls 0.9m thick); the structure has been modified on a number of occasions and a small aisle appears to have formerly projected from the E end of the N wall. The E gable (supporting a 17th-century belfry) is largely original and incorporates a double lancet window of 13th-century character, of which the head appears to be restored. The E portion of the interior has been divided from the remainder to form a mortuary enclosure; it is entered through a doorway in the S wall, and the lintel bears the incised date 1516, but in its present form the inscription is unlikely to be earlier in date that the 18th century. An arch-pointed doorway at the W end of the N wall is probably of medieval date; a medieval graveslab is in use as a lintel for a window in the S wall. A number of 18th-century gravestones are situated on the NE side of the church. (For an Early Medieval cross-slab, possibly originally situated in the burial-ground, see NS31NW 5. The church, d dicated to St Mungo, appears to have been a pendicle of Ayr but about 1501 it became a prebend of the Chapel Royal of Stirling. In 1690 the parish was united with Ayr, but in 1860 it was re-erected as a separate parish.

RCAHMS 1985, visited (IMS) July 1985

NS 3319 1805 The survey and assessment were carried out between September and November 2006 in advance of conservation work on the church to enhance an existing desk-top study and to assess the evidence for the past use of the building, its archaeological significance and the potential impact of any alterations. The chief aim of the study was to assist in the preparation of a Conservation Plan and attempt to trace the development of additions and alterations to the building. A level 3-4 building survey has been partly carried out and will be completed when building works permit.

Archive to be deposited with NMRS. Final reports to be sent to NMRS and WoSAS SMR.

Sponsor: South Ayrshire Council.

C Francoz and J Arthur, 2006.

Architecture Notes

NS31NW 2.00 33191 18051

NS31NW 2.01 33199 18061 Churchyard

NMRS REFERENCES:

S.N.P.G S.M.T. Magazine, January 1950 (1 photograph)

Architect: Allan Stevenson. 1914. Survey

Plans: at Darley Hay Partnership, Ayr

EXTERNAL REFERENCES:

National Lib. of Scotland: Earnock MSS, I, 98

Activities

Standing Building Recording (September 2006 - November 2006)

NS 3319 1805 The survey and assessment were carried out between September and November 2006 in advance of conservation work on the church to enhance an existing desk-top study and to assess the evidence for the past use of the building, its archaeological significance and the potential impact of any alterations. The chief aim of the study was to assist in the preparation of a Conservation Plan and attempt to trace the development of additions and alterations to the building. A level 3-4 building survey has been partly carried out and will be completed when building works permit.

Archive to be deposited with NMRS. Final reports to be sent to NMRS and WoSAS SMR.

Sponsor: South Ayrshire Council.

C Francoz and J Arthur 2006

Watching Brief (22 August 2007 - 30 October 2007)

From August to October 2007, GUARD carried out a monitoring of restoration and conservation works at Alloway Auld Kirk and Kirkyard, South Ayrshire on behalf of ARP Lorimer and Associates. During the removal of the existing public footpath around Alloway Auld Kirk, large quantities of human remains and two previously unmarked graves were uncovered. These remains were disarticulated and had clearly been disturbed at an earlier date, probably during work to create the existing footpath. The human remains have been re-interred in an appropriate manner.

Information from Oasis (guard4-44591) 15 August 2012

Watching Brief (19 April 2012 - 14 August 2012)

Archaeological monitoring was carried out on behalf of the National Trust for Scotland with respect to the installation of lighting at Alloway Kirk, South Ayrshire (NGR NS 3319 1805) from 18th June to 28th June 2012, and then again on the 23rd and 24th of July 2012 . The archaeological works were designed to monitor the hand dug excavation of trenches for the installation of cables and light fittings associated with a new lighting system. No new significant archaeological remains were discovered during the course of these works.

Information from Oasis (rathmell1-125105) 5 March 2014

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions