Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lindston

Henge (Neol/bronze Age)(Possible)

Site Name Lindston

Classification Henge (Neol/bronze Age)(Possible)

Canmore ID 41584

Site Number NS31NE 6

NGR NS 3722 1679

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/41584

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Ayrshire
  • Parish Dalrymple (Kyle And Carrick)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kyle And Carrick
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS31NE 6 3722 1679.

(NS 3722 1679) Earthwork (NR) (remains of)

OS 1:10000 map (1981)

Situated on the nearly level summit of a broad ridge is a circular wet ditch, 21ft wide, 2ft to 3ft deep, the internal diameter being 130ft. There is no trace of a rampart, but Smith saw traces of one outside the ditch.

D Christison 1893; J Smith 1895

An earthwork comprising a reed-filled ditch from 15ft to 33ft in width which encloses a level area 125ft in diameter lies at 400ft OD. An external bank in the NW arc is a few inches in height and spread to 24ft thick. The ditch was probably bridged at the narrowest point on the ENE because there is no causeway. The interior has been cultivated and there is no causeway. It is likely to be a medieval rather than a prehistoric work.

RCAHMS Marginal Lands Survey TS, visited 1953

The much-reduced remains of an earthwork comprising a low flat-topped mound, 40.0m in diameter, surrounded by a ditch 6.0m to 10.0m wide and 1.0m maximum depth. There are traces of a causeway on the E side. Visited by OS (JLD) 12 December 1955

This earthwork has now been virtually ploughed out. Only the mutilated remains of the ditch, barely 0.2m deep and about 5.0m wide, are visible. (The earthwork is similar to NS31SW 6 and NS31SE 12).

Visited by OS (WDJ) 11 September 1968

The earthwork lies at 124m OD and has commanding views in every direction. It is regularly under plough and it was bulldozed "about fifteen years ago" (Mr Carlton, Lindston Farm).

The level interior is generally above the surrounding ground surface and, as noted by previous authorities, there is no apparent evidence of an inner rampart. The 8.0m wide ditch, which is now up to 0.8m deep, has a well-defined causeway on the E side. A spread outer bank is evident, principally on the NW side.

Its origin and purpose are not clear and the fact that it occupies an essentially non-defensive hilltop makes its positive identification conjectural; however, it may be compared with other sites in the locality (NS31SW 6 and NS31SE 12).

Resurveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (MJF) 25 September 1980

On the level summit of a broad ridge 150m N of Lindston there are the remains of a circular earthwork now severely reduced by bulldozing and ploughing. It is 36m in diameter within a ditch, formerly water-filled, 7.5m broad and up to 0.7m deep with traces of an external bank; the entrance was probably on the E where the ditch is crossed by causeway. RCAHMS 1985, visited (PC) October 1985.

The earthwork remains of what has possibly been a henge are situated on level ground on the summit of a broad ridge, commanding magnificent views in all directions. It measures 40m from E to W by 38m transversely within a ditch 7.5m broad and 0.5m deep; there are traces of an external bank, but this has been reduced to little more than a low swelling on the N and W. The entrance has been in the E where a causeway (7m broad) crosses the ditch.

Visited by RCAHMS (ARW/SPH), 17 November 1995

Activities

Field Visit (27 May 1953)

Earthwork, Lindston.

On the flat summit of a broad ridge 200 yds north of Lindston and at a height of 400 ft OD there is a curious earthwork consisting of a wet, reed-filled ditch from 15 ft to 33 ft in width which encloses a level circular area 125 ft in diameter. Some slight traces of an external bank, only a few inches in height and spread to a maximum thickness of 24 ft, can be seen on the NW arc. In the absence of a causeway it must be assumed that the ditch was bridged, probably at the narrowest point on the ENE. The interior, now covered with rough pasture, has formerly been cultivated and shows no signs of structures. No close parallels can be cited for this work, but as Christison remarked (1893, 398), it seems likely that it is medieval rather than prehistoric.

Visited by RCAHMS 27 May 1953.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions