Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Maybole, 'john Knox's House'

House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Maybole, 'john Knox's House'

Classification House (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 41521

Site Number NS30NW 2

NGR NS 3004 0987

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map


Administrative Areas

  • Council South Ayrshire
  • Parish Maybole
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kyle And Carrick
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS30NW 2 3004 0987

(NS 3004 0987) John Knox's House: This house was formerly the residence of the Provost or Principal of the Collegiate Church, and it was in this house that the famous Debate between John Knox and the last Abbot of Crossraguel took place in 1562. It stands in what was lately known as the Black Vennel, but now John Knox Street, and was formerly known as the Red Lion Inn. It has been greatley modernised in appearance, but the interior remains much the same as in the old Reformation days. Some have denied that the present house was the one in which the Debate was held, but merely one built on its site, on the grounds of its modern appearance, and that a stone dated '1649' was dug out the ruins of the adjoining property.

R Lawson 1885; R Lawson 1891.

This house bears no interesting architectural features and appears to date from the early 19th century. A plaque on the wall relates to the Debate in 1562. It is more likely that another building existed on the site, prior to the erection of the present edifice.

Visited by OS (JLD), 7 December 1955 .

The house was demolished in 1963 and nothing of architectural is historical interest was found (Mr J Gray, Brae). An end terrace house now occupies the site and bears a marble slab inscribed- "On this site stood the house in which a public debate was held betwixt John Knox and the Abbot of Crossraguel on the doctrine of the mass. November 28-30th 1562".

Visited by OS (JRL), 28 July 1977.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions