Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We have updated our mapping software and are trying out some new background mapping layers. Please let us know what you think by clicking here.

Drumfad

Cup And Ring Marked Stone (Prehistoric)

Site Name Drumfad

Classification Cup And Ring Marked Stone (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 41455

Site Number NS28SE 6

NGR NS 2905 8457

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/41455

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Rhu
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Dumbarton
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Archaeology Notes

NS28SE 6 2905 8457.

A sculptured boulder of schist is situated at an altitude of c.450ft above sea level; a hundred yards SE of the gate on the "Highlandman's Road"; a short distance east of the upper part of Ardencaple Wood; and close to the Glennan Burn. The boulder, presumably an ice-carried one, is about 5ft in height, and 48ft in girth, making a prominent landmark, and has many well-preserved cups, rings, and other markings on its surface. These sculpturings have been preserved under the guidance of Mr L M Mann. An attempt to break up the boulder resulted in it being split into four unequal parts.

A D Lacaille 1924

NS 2905 8456. A boulder, measuring c.5m by 3m by 1.4m high, now broken into four irregular parts. The stone is much weathered and moss grown, but a number of cupmarks, 1 ins, in diameter by 1/2 in deep, are visible.

Visited by OS (DS) 25 September 1956

This boulder is generally as described above. Roughly a dozen small cup-marks are visible, one of which a trial drill-hole. No traces of any rings were noted; there are other (modern) markings on the boulder. Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 15 January 1963

NS 290 845 In 1923 a number of cup-and-ring marks were seen on this large boulder, but only cup-marks are now visible.

RCAHMS 1978

A D Lacaille 1924; R W B Morris 1966

Activities

Field Visit (2016)

NS 29599 84566 A prominent boulder marked with cup and rings was surveyed by Lacaille in 1924 when he recorded 57 cups with at least 8 rings. The present survey only detected 35 cups, 3 with single rings, and 2 with the remains of double and triple rings respectively. Modern graffiti was

also recorded. The attrition of the stone is due to weathering and the effects of people walking on its surface. A limited excavation was carried out around the stone and a fractured part of it was returned to its proper position. The society has placed an interpretative panel beside the stone to explain its presence and hopefully to deter any further climbing upon it.

Report: NRHE, WoSAS and on www.spanglefish.com/

NorthClydeArchaeologicalSociety/index.asp

Sponsors: Luss Estates Company and Foundation Scotland

Sandra Kelly – North Clyde Archaeological Society

(Source: DES, Volume 17)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions