Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Faslane, St. Michael's Chapel

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned), Spring (Period Unassigned), Sundial (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Faslane, St. Michael's Chapel

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned), Spring (Period Unassigned), Sundial (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) St Michael's Chapel; The Priest's Well; Clyde Submarine Base; Faslane Castle

Canmore ID 41428

Site Number NS28NW 1

NGR NS 24895 89862

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map


Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Rhu
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Dumbarton
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Archaeology Notes

NS28NW 1.00 24895 89862.

NS28NW 1.01 centred NS 24923 89916 Cemetery; War Memorial

NS28NW 1.02 NS 2487189888 Caretakers Lodge

(NS 2489 8986) St Michael's Chapel (NR) (In Ruins)

OS 6" map (1924)

A chapel of unknown date stood near Faslane Castle (NS29SW 1). It measured 43 feet (13.1m) by 23 feet (7m), and its stones were removed for building except for the two gable-ends which are still standing. A burying-ground was attached to the chapel at the west end. Until lately, the foundations of a house, reputed to be the priest's house, could be seen between the chapel and the barn. On the same site of the stream, under the bank, is a fine spring called 'The Priest's Well'.

W Fraser 1869

The chapel was apparently dedicated to St Michael. This chapel may be of 13th or 14th century date.

G Chalmers 1890; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1896

The remains of this chapel have been restored, and the south wall rebuilt without mortar, to a height of 1.3 metres.

There are no traces of the old burying ground (the chapel is situated within a modern cemetery), priest's house, or well.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 9 January 1963

NS 248 898. The remains of this chapel now stand within a modern cemetery. The building is possibly of 13th-century date.

RCAHMS 1978, visited August 1977

J Irving 1860; W Fraser 1869; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1896


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions