Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Greenock, 'fort Jervis'

Battery (18th Century), Mound (18th Century)

Site Name Greenock, 'fort Jervis'

Classification Battery (18th Century), Mound (18th Century)

Canmore ID 41312

Site Number NS27NE 5

NGR NS 2772 7677

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/41312

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Inverclyde
  • Parish Greenock
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Inverclyde
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NS27NE 5 2772 7677.

(NS 2772 7677) Site of Fort Jervis (NAT) (1797)

OS 1:500 map (1859)

In 1797, an Admiral Jervis erected a mound and a small battery here; it was mounted with twelve guns. It was removed about 30 years ago to make way for the rope walk, East Clyde Street, etc. "Fort Jervis - Feby 14th 1797" appears on a stone of the wall of the rope walk.

Name Book 1856

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions