Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Drummochreen

House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Drummochreen

Classification House (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 40859

Site Number NS20SE 1

NGR NS 27971 02609

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/40859

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Ayrshire
  • Parish Dailly
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kyle And Carrick
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS20SE 1 2797 0260.

(NS 2797 0260) Drummochreen (NR) (Ruin)

OS 6" map (1911)

Nothing remains but a plain bit of ivy-clad wall with a small window in it. The house has been described by a 17th century writer.

G Turnbull 1908

The exact period of the building was not ascertained, but from the details of the wall and general layout it is probably of late 16th - 17th century date.

Visited by OS (JLD) 4 May 1954

All that remains of Drummochreen House is a fragment of the S face, 7.7m in length, containing a rectilinear window. This wall is of rubble masonry and stands to a height of 3m and is 1m thick. Its course can be further traced eastwards for a distance of 7m. The outline of the remainder of the building to the N is difficult to determine as it is covered by an area of rubble and hollows measuring roughly 16m square. The building occupied the W part of a raised platform.

Twenty-eight metres N of the remaining wall is a ditch 4.0m broad and 0.8m deep which merges at the wood on the E with a modern ditch, and towards the W turns S to the river. There is the trace of a wall on top of the scarp of the ditch, which probably extended round all sides except the S.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 20 November 1959

Apart from further tumble on the W side of the surviving wall there is no change to the previous reports. The ditch remains form an external courtyard drain rather than a surrounding moat.

Visited by OS (JRL) 18 May 1977

All that remains of Drumochreen is a fragment of mortared masonry standing in the SW corner of a rectangular enclosure. The enclosure measures 35m by 30m within a ditch (5m broad and 0.8m deep where best preserved) and a slight internal bank.

RCAHMS 1983, visited 1982

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions