Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cnoc Nam Faintan

Earthwork (Prehistoric)(Possible), Disc (Stone)(Period Unknown)

Site Name Cnoc Nam Faintan

Classification Earthwork (Prehistoric)(Possible), Disc (Stone)(Period Unknown)

Alternative Name(s) Strone Point; Cnoc Nam Fiantan

Canmore ID 40772

Site Number NS18SE 3

NGR NS 1902 8109

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/40772

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Dunoon And Kilmun
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes ( - 1976)

NS18SE 3 1902 8109.

(NS 1902 8109) Cnoc nam Fiantan (Fort) (NR)

OS 6" map (1946)

This is now only a circular mound, 80' in diameter, but both its appearance and local tradition mark it as a dun.

M Paterson 1970

This site lies at the edge of a golf course and has clearly been tampered with. It is not possible to identify any of the original structure. The size and situation of this work are, as Paterson suggests, perhaps indicative of a dun.

Visited by OS (JP) 2 March 1973

Homestead. The site, a regular rectangle with widely curving corners, 124' N-S by 100', was sectioned completely across the N defences and across the NW angle. A linear hollow on N was proved to be natural accentuated by recent surface digging. The site was defended by a rampart of turf on a cobbled base 13' - 14' wide including heavy boulder kerbs. Behind was a stone platform, 5' wide, of heavy interspersed with tightly packed smaller, cobbles. Immediately behind was a 2'6" wide arc of stone enclosing two post holes, presumably of a round hut 14' across internally. Two flints from this level, and four others, disturbed, and a small perforated stone disc were all the finds. A secondary flooring of rammed clay and gravel at high level may be recent.

A S Newall and F Newall 1971

There are no identifiable remains of this earthwork. The site, on a level shelf on a SE- facing hill-slope, is in a good defensive position. There is much ground disturbance and little trace of surface stones. Newall's excavation is not evident. Its date and character cannot now be ascertained.

Visited by OS (TRG) 9 December 1976

Activities

Field Visit (14 September 1942)

This site was included within the RCAHMS Emergency Survey (1942-3), an unpublished rescue project. Site descriptions, organised by county, vary from short notes to lengthy and full descriptions and are available to view online with contemporary sketches and photographs. The original typescripts, manuscripts, notebooks and photographs can also be consulted in the RCAHMS Search Room.

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 10 December 2014.

Field Visit (October 1984)

Set on the prominent nose overlooking Strone about 330m WSW of the golf pavilion, in a situation of no great natural defence, there are the denuded remains of an earthwork that measures about 30m in diameter. Limited excavation in 1971 (Newall and Newall 1971) indicated that the enclosing bank was composed mainly of turf laid on a cobbled base, 4.3m in width with large retaining kerbstones. Examination of the interior revealed a 'stone platform', an arc of stone enclosing two post-holes, and what was probably a more recent floor of clay and gravel. Artefacts recovered included a small perforated stone disc and several objects of flint.

In 1888 a local tradition was recorded that a large flat stone formerly lay near the top of the knoll (Gow 1889); it bore a single large hollow and several smaller cups, but it was broken up to facilitate the erection of a flagstaff, itself now destroyed.

Visited October 1984

RCAHMS 1988.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions