Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Ardenslate, 'castle Crawford'

Building (Period Unassigned), Motte (Medieval)(Possible)

Site Name Ardenslate, 'castle Crawford'

Classification Building (Period Unassigned), Motte (Medieval)(Possible)

Canmore ID 40740

Site Number NS17NE 2

NGR NS 1796 7868

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/40740

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Dunoon And Kilmun
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NS17NE 2 1796 7868

(NS 1796 7868) Castle Crawford (NAT) Moat (NR)

OS 6" map (1946)

"On the farm of Ardinslat there is...a green mound, an oblong square, about 90ft in length, by about 73 in breadth, raised about ten feet above the surrounding level; the fosse clearly traceable around it as well as the entrance, though the latter has been partly obliterated by the erection of some modern enclosures..." (No name is mentioned).

NSA 1845

"A remarkable mound, evidently of artificial construction, though no remains of any building have ever been found on it, and it is not supposed that a castle ever stood on it. Tradition accounts for the name by stating that a freebooter named Crawford had his residence here. It is surrounded by a moat still very distinct, and a stream of water at hand has evidently been used ot fill it. A modern wooden erection has been placed on it to contain the arms, etc., of a number of Riflemen whose practice ground is near at hand."

Name Book 1867

This once rectangular mound has had the western part removed during construction of the golf-course. No entrance is now visible. The surrounding ditch is best preserved on the south side where the scarp is 2.1m high, and the counter-scarp 1.5m. Evidence of an outer bank on the south and east sides of the ditch have been confused by the construction of golf-greens. The remains of a buttressed wall, 8.0m long x 0.4m thick x 3.1m maximum height, because they contain a fireplace and chimney, could have been part of the wooden building noted by ONB (Name Book 1867).

If not they must be the remains of a later building of unknown purpose. The name 'Crawford' is not a local one. No further information was obtained during investigation.

Re-surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (EGC) 13 March 1963

Square motte.

E J Talbot MSS.

Activities

Field Visit (October 1986)

The incomplete and gorse-covered remains of a rectangular scarped platform stand on level ground at Dunoon Golf Course NW of Kirn, formerly the lands of Ardenslate Farm. It was described in 1845 by the parish minister, who identified it as a Roman camp, as measuring about 27m by 22m, and 3m in height (en.l), but the W end has been truncated by landscaping and it now measures about 23m in length by just over 2m in height above a well-defined ditch, possibly originally wet. On the summit there is a buttressed stone screen-wall 8m long and 3m high, incorporating in the W face a fireplace, which probably belonged to a shelter of late 19th century date (en.2*).

RCAHMS 1992, visited October 1986

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions