Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Bute, Mount Stuart

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Mausoleum (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Bute, Mount Stuart

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Mausoleum (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Scoulag Church

Canmore ID 40726

Site Number NS16SW 7

NGR NS 11012 60556

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/40726

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kingarth
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Buteshire

Archaeology Notes

NS16SW 7 11012 60563.

(NS 1102 6055) Chapel (NAT).

OS 6" map (1957)

This small T-shaped building, now a mausoleum, with an associated graveyard, was built in the 17th century as the family chapel of the Marquis of Bute (Name Book 1863). It is noted in OPS (1854) as "at one timee used as the parish church during the residence of the proprietor". Mr J Thomson (teacher, Kingarth) states that it is built on the site of the original parish church of Kingarth (see NS15NW 6), and Mr Grant (teacher, Rothesay) alleges that it occupies the site of "an ancient chapel". Neither of the Muirs (W Muir, factor; Mr Muir, farmer at Barone Park), who were interested in antiquarian research, had ever heard of any tradition relating to a chapel site here.

SDD List, undated

A neat church, sometime the parochial one but disused as as not being central for the people. At present it makes a very genteel and convenient chapel for the family.

J Blain 1818 in Ross 1880.

During the years 1724 to 1740 a new kirk for Kingarth was built by the parishioners at Mount Stuart but no title having been granted it was taken by the Third Marquess of Bute to form a mausoleum.

H Scott 1923.

A mausoleum as described in the previous information There is no record of a previous chuch or chapel having stood on this site (Stuart family archives, Mountstuart, Bute).

Visited by OS (BS) 26 November 1976.

This disused chapel and burial ground stands within the policies of Mount Stuart, close to the coast about 1km NNE of the mansion NS15NW 10. The building was not recorded in detail on the date of visit, but the burial ground to the S contains members of the Crichton-Stuart family in its E part and Mount Stuart house staff in the W. The site is called 'Scoulag Church' on the 1st edition of the Ordnance Survey 6-inch map (Buteshire 1869, sheet CCIV).

Visited by RCAHMS (AGCH) 19 May 2009.

Site Management (13 November 2008)

Vaulted mortuary chamber and chapel. Single storey, 6-bay near-symmetrical, T-plan former Presbyterian church with projecting 2-storey wing centred at rear; red sandstone ashlar bellcotes surmounting pedimented gables to east and west. Harled south and north-west elevations; harl-pointed red rubble sandstone to east, north-east and west; red sandstone dressings. Raised red sandstone base course; slightly swept overhanging eaves. Prominent ashlar quoins; raised long and short surrounds to Y-traceried, round-arched bipartite windows to front (sandstone mullions); plain polished margins to remaining openings at sides and rear.

Red sandstone stair to former laird's loft in projecting wing at rear. (Historic Scotland)

Activities

Reference (1880)

A neat church, sometime the parochial one but disused as as not being central for the people. At present it makes a very genteel and convenient chapel for the family.

J Blain 1818.

Field Visit (19 May 2009)

This disused chapel and burial ground stands within the policies of Mount Stuart, close to the coast about 1km NNE of the mansion NS15NW 10. The building was not recorded in detail on the date of visit, but the burial ground to the S contains members of the Crichton-Stuart family in its E part and Mount Stuart house staff in the W. The site is called 'Scoulag Church' on the 1st edition of the Ordnance Survey 6-inch map (Buteshire 1869, sheet CCIV).

Visited by RCAHMS (AGCH) 19 May 2009.

Reference

This small T-shaped building, now a mausoleum, with an associated graveyard, was built in the 17th century as the family chapel of the Marquis of Bute (Name Book 1863). It is noted in OPS (1854) as "at one timee used as the parish church during the residence of the proprietor". Mr J Thomson (teacher, Kingarth) states that it is built on the site of the original parish church of Kingarth (see NS15NW 6), and Mr Grant (teacher, Rothesay) alleges that it occupies the site of "an ancient chapel". Neither of the Muirs (W Muir, factor; Mr Muir, farmer at Barone Park), who were interested in antiquarian research, had ever heard of any tradition relating to a chapel site here.

SDD List, undated

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions