Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lewis, Ardoil

Hut Circle(S) (Prehistoric)

Site Name Lewis, Ardoil

Classification Hut Circle(S) (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 4059

Site Number NB03SW 6

NGR NB 042 323

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/4059

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Uig
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NB03SW 6 042 323.

(Area: NB 042 323) A hut circle, formed by a single curb of stones set on edge and measuring 17' in diameter internally, lies in a wind-swept gully in the sand at the SE base of Eornal. About 9' NE are a few tumbled stones, apparently the remains of a small structure.

Two saddle querns, a hammer-stone and a few fragments of pottery, together with some shells of cockles and limpets and animal bones, were got beside the hut circle.

Some 50 yards to the NE of the hut-circle are the remains of another. (By including the report on the ivory chessmen, etc. (NB03SW 5) with these structures RCAHMS seem to imply that there may be some association between them possibly 'the remains of a small structure' could refer to the same structure as the "small, subterranean, stone building like an oven')

RCAHMS 1928.

No trace

Visited by OS (R L) 28 June 1969.

Four hut circles, A: NB 0418 3233, B: NB 0420 3230, C: NB 0422 3232, and D: NB 0423 3234, have been located by Carson. 'C' is 8 m in diameter, while the others are 6 m in diameter.

Information contained in letter and plans from W Carson to OS 30 August 1979.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions