Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We have updated our mapping software and are trying out some new background mapping layers. Please let us know what you think by clicking here.

Lewis, Baile Na Cille, Capail Mor And Capail Beac

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned), Font (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Lewis, Baile Na Cille, Capail Mor And Capail Beac

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned), Font (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Cnoc Eothail, Baille Na Cille

Canmore ID 4056

Site Number NB03SW 2

NGR NB 0480 3387

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Uig
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NB03SW 2 0480 3387.

(NB 0480 3387) Burial Ground (NAT)

OS 6" map, (1965)

An old churchyard, beside the highest point of which stood a church built in 1724. The site was occupied by the earlier church. 'Capail Mor' - Big Chapel' - the foundations of which are said to be traceable in the spring. To the south of it is the site of Capail Beag - 'Little Chapel' - possibly a still earlier church. 'Capail Mor' was a sanctuary.

(One of these, probably 'Capail Mor'), is presumably the pre-Reformation 'St Christopher's Chapel in Uge' noted by Martin).

RCAHMS 1928, visited 1914; M Martin 1934.

This burial ground is in a knoll, on the summit of which are traces of stony banks which may be the remains of the chapel, but they are now so obscured by grave slabs, loose boulders and vegetation that the general shape and outline is impossible to define. There is no trace of the other two chapels, and there is no local knowledge of them, nor of the dedication. Within the burial ground, which was last used over 20 years ago, is a stone font.

Visited by OS (R L) 28 June 1969.

Scheduled as Cnoc Eothail, Baille na Cille, burial ground and site of chapel.

Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 27 April 1992.

This chapel site was included in a research project to identify the chapel sites of Lewis and surrounding islands. The Lewis Coastal Chapel-sites survey recorded 37 such sites. A plane-table survey was made of this chapel site.

R Barrowman 2005


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions