Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dun An Oir

Gravestone (18th Century), Gravestone (19th Century), Mausoleum (19th Century)

Site Name Dun An Oir

Classification Gravestone (18th Century), Gravestone (19th Century), Mausoleum (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Campbell Of Glendaruel Burial Ground; Mausoleum

Canmore ID 40512

Site Number NS08NW 6

NGR NS 00352 87551

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/40512

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilmodan
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NS08NW 6 00352 87551

(NS 00352 87551) Burial Ground (NAT) Dun an Oir (NAT)

OS 6" map (1900)

The ? 19th century burial place of the Campbells of Glendaruel is a rectangular enclosure, situated on top of an artificial mound. The name "Dun an Oir" means "Knoll of the Gold", perhaps from an idea that gold was hidden in it.

SDD List 1963; Name Book 1870

A natural knoll, crowned by an 18th century mausoleum. Name confirmed.

Visited by OS (DWR) 23 November 1972

INVENTORY OF GRAVEYARD AND CEMETERY SITES IN SCOTLAND REFERENCE:

Address: Dun an Oir, Campbell of Glendaruel Mausoleum, Glendaruel

Postcode: PA22 3AB

Status: Not known

Size: N/a

TOIDs:

Number of gravestones: 10

Earliest gravestone: 1727

Most recent gravestone: 1986

Description: Mausoleum in private estate. Mounted on glacial mound.

Data Sources: OS MasterMap checked 21 September 2005; Graveyard Recording Form dated 25 February 2003

Activities

Field Visit (July 1986)

This family burial-enclosure of the Campbells of Glendaruel occupies the summit of a wooded mound 0.5km SW of Achanelid farmhouse and 0.7km NNE of the site of Glendaruel House, which was demolished following a fire in1970. 1 The mound appears to be of natural origin, and it is possible that the name was transferred from the nearby motte(No. 125).The enclosure is 4.3m square within a lime-mortared rubble wall2m high and 0.6m thick. The coping of sandstone slabs is crowned at the angles by pedestals from which fluted urns have been dislodged, and an entrance-doorway in the SW wall has been blocked and its moulded lintel removed. Although the enclosure is probably of early 19th-centurydate, three 18th-century monuments of unknown origin are built into the NW wall.

FUNERARY MONUMENTS

(1) Mural tablet of sandstone with an inscription in incised capitals commemorating 'Mrs Beatrix McLean, Daughter of Sir Iohn Mc Lean of that ilk' who died in 1723 aged 15 'at Eskchlachan'. Sir John MacLean of Duart was a prominent Jacobite whose widowed mother married James Campbell of Glendaruel (en.2*). The former township of Eskachlachan was close to the site of Glendaruel House (en.3).

(2) Mural tablet, undated but similar to number 1, inscribed 'Mrs Isbal Campbell, daughter to the leard of Glenderual, & Archibald Campbell his brother'. The laird referred to was probably Colin Campbell, whose estate was forfeited following his participation in the Jacobite risings of 1715 and 1719 (en.4).

(3) Mural tablet commemorating Duncan Campbell of 'Glendarouel' who died in 1776 aged 81, and his daughter Katrine who died in 1763 aged 13. Duncan Campbell, a cadet of the family of Campbell of Jura, acquired the Glendaruel estate about 1750 (en.5).

(4) Mural tablet of marble commemorating Elizabeth Campbell, wife of Duncan Campbell of Glendaruel 'and only child of Dr J R Hume of London, physician to his Grace the Duke of Wellington', who died at Glendaruel House in 1847. Adjacent tablets commemorate her husband, who died in 1874, and two infant daughters.

RCAHMS 1992, visited July 1986

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions