Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Bute, Kames Castle And Lodges

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Bute, Kames Castle And Lodges

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 40309

Site Number NS06NE 2

NGR NS 06354 67577

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/40309

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish North Bute
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Buteshire

Archaeology Notes

NS06NE 2.00 06354 67577.

NS06NE 2.01 NS 062 675 Enclosure

NS06NE 2.02 NS 061 675 Walled Gardens

(NS 0635 6755) Kames Castle (NR)

OS 6" map (1900)

The original building was a simple five-storeyed keep, probably 16th century, which measures about 36ft by 25ft 6 inches, with walls about 5 feet 4 inches thick. The north-east wing may be coeval although much of the upper part of the tower is quite modern.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1889

Kames Castle is a plain rectangular keep as described above. The north-east wing has been removed, and the keep restored. In use as a dwelling-house.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 15 January 1964

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect: Alterations by David Bryce

NS06NE 2.00 Kames Castle

NS06NE 2.02 NS 06165 67526 Walled Garden

NS06NE 2.03 NS 06211 67447 Gardener's Cottage

NS06NE 2.04 NS 06648 67457 Gatelodge

NS06NE 2.05 NS 06171 67567 Walled Garden, Outbuilding

NS06NE 2.06 NS 06174 67562 Walled Garden, Greenhouse

NS06NE 2.07 NS 06108 67497 Walled Garden Cottage

NS06NE 2.08 NS 06111 67509 Walled Garden Cottage Wing

Activities

Desk Based Assessment (16 December 1963)

The original building was a simple five-storeyed keep, probably 16th century, which measures about 36ft by 25ft 6 inches, with walls about 5 feet 4 inches thick. The north-east wing may be coeval although much of the upper part of the tower is quite modern.

Information from OS (DT) 16 December 1963

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1889

Field Visit (15 January 1964)

Kames Castle is a plain rectangular keep as described above (OS 16.12.63). The north-east wing has been removed, and the keep restored. In use as a dwelling-house.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 15 January 1964

Photographic Survey (9 May 2006)

Photographed by the Listed Building Area Survey, Argyll upgrade programme.

RCAHMS (CAJS) 2012.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions