Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

Killaser Castle

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Killaser Castle

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Killasser; Killasor; Killaster; Cairnhandy

Canmore ID 40205

Site Number NX04NE 7

NGR NX 0964 4509

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/40205

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Stoneykirk
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Archaeology Notes

NX04NE 7 0964 4509.

(NX 0964 4509) Killaser Castle (NR) (Remains of)

OS 6" map (1957)

The ruins of Killaser Castle rise from a mound measuring 65' N-S by 63' transversely, formed from the debris of fallen masonry. The Castle was originally a square keep measuring overall about 31' N-S by 28'9" transversely, of which only a portion of the N and E walls now remains, and was probably defended on all sides by a ditch of which there is an indication at the S end.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1892; RCAHMS 1912, visited 1911.

As described above. The walls, 0.7m thick, rise to a maximum height of 3.0m and the springing of the east side of the vaulted ground floor is also visible. There is now no evidence of a ditch. The mound seems entirely composed of fallen masonry.

Revised at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 8 September 1970

The remains of this tower-house stand within the vestiges of a ditched enclosure in an area of low-lying ground 440m SE of Cairnhandy farmhouse. The rectangular tower (6.5m by 4.8m with a wall up to 2.1m thick) has been reduced to its lowest courses, but enough survives to indicate the presence of a vaulted ground floor, a mural passage and the possible provision for a stair or latrine at the NE angle.

In 1684 Killaser was listed amongst the principle houses in the district, although Symson (in Macfarlane) erroneously states that it stood 1/2 mile E of Ardwell (NX14NW 14).

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1896-7; P H M'Kerlie 1906; RCAHMS 1912; RCAHMS 1985, visited June 1984.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions