Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Arran, Kilmory Parish Church

Church (Post Medieval), Font

Site Name Arran, Kilmory Parish Church

Classification Church (Post Medieval), Font

Canmore ID 39650

Site Number NR92SE 15

NGR NR 96334 21857

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/39650

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council North Ayrshire
  • Parish Kilmory
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Cunninghame
  • Former County Buteshire

Archaeology Notes (1973 - 1977)

NR92SE 15.00 96334 21857

NR92SE 15.01 96319 21848 Churchyard

(NR 9634 2186) Kilmory parish church is modern. It was erected in 1785 on the site of an earlier church, added to in 1810, and completely renovated in 1881. There is some doubt as to whether this is the site of the pre-Reformation church or not, there being a site known as that of a St Mary's Chapel at Sliddery (NR92SW 10 ). There are no pre-1709 gravestones, but there is a stone font in the churchyard, which may have come from the old chapel (McArthur 1873).

The font was found in draining the glebe land some years ago a little E of the lime kiln (NR 9617 2173) and near the S boundary of the glebe (ONB 1864).

J A Balfour 1910; H Scott et al 1915-61; J McArthur 1873; Name Book 1864

The building is consistent with a date of 1785, and nothing of an earlier period appears to be incorporated. The numerous pre-1785 headstones (one found dated 1706) testify to an earlier church on this site, but nothing of its history or tradition is locally known. There is no trace of a font in the churchyard, and the former minister (Rev B Fishwick, 8 Ladeside Place, Shiskine) here, does not know of its existence.

Visited by OS (J R L) 28 November 1977.

Architecture Notes

NR92SE 15.00 96334 21857

NR92SE 15.01 96319 21848 Churchyard

NMRS REFERENCE

NMRS Microfilm & Microfiche Collection

MONUMENTAL INSCRIPTIONS WITHIN CUNNINGHAME DISTRICT

copyright; Cunninghame District Council

acc.no. 1990/57

Reels 3 & 4 (Arran), accompanied by index on microfiche.

Activities

Archaeological Evaluation (May 2006)

NR 9635 2180 Evaluation was carried out in May 2006 in advance of a proposed new cemetery site, immediately S of Kilmory Parish Church. Ten trenches representing 12% of the entire area were excavated. No archaeological remains were discovered.

Archive to be deposited in NMRS. Report lodged with WoSAS SMR and NMRS.

Sponsor: North Ayrshire Council.

D Swan 2006

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions