Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Poltalloch, Saint Columba's Chapel

Cross Slab(S) (Early Medieval)

Site Name Poltalloch, Saint Columba's Chapel

Classification Cross Slab(S) (Early Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Poltalloch Estate; Barrnakill; Oib Mhor

Canmore ID 39499

Site Number NR89NW 55

NGR NR 8160 9653

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/39499

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilmartin
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NR89NW 55 8160 9653

See also NR78NE 1, NR89NW 54 and NR89SW 13.

For Poltalloch Estate, St Columba's Chapel (NR 81604 96531), see NR89NW 81.03.

(NR 8160 9653) There are two early cross slabs in the graveyard, on the N side of St Columba's Chapel. One, from Barrnakill, is described and illustrated on NR89SW 13. The other, labelled Oib Mhor, 1927 (NR78NE 1) has on one face a plain incised cross; the other, a wheel-headed cross with pits at the intersections of the limbs, traces of a long shaft, and possibly of the head prolonged above the ring.

M Campbell and M Sandeman 1964.

These cross slabs are as described.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (IA), 30 April 1973

NR 8160 9654. Two cross slabs as described by Campbell and Sandeman.

Surveyed at 1/10,000.

Visited by OS (BS), 14 April 1977

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions