Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Poltalloch, Saint Columba's Chapel, Cross

Cross (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Poltalloch, Saint Columba's Chapel, Cross

Classification Cross (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) 'Cross Of Argyll'; 'cros Gilleasbuig; Archibald's Cross; Stance Field; Kilmichael Glassary Church; Poltalloch Estate

Canmore ID 39498

Site Number NR89NW 54

NGR NR 8158 9652

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/39498

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilmartin
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NR89NW 54 8158 9652

For Poltalloch Estate, St Columba's Chapel (NR 81604 96531), see NR89NW 81.03.

See also NR89NW 55.

Drummond records the re-discovery c.1820 of a standing cross, which had been broken in three and built into the older (?post-1685) church at Kilmichael Glassary (NR 8591 9350), the head being used as a gable finial. This was the 'Cross of Argyll', 'Cros Gilleasbuig' - i.e. Archibald's Cross, 1355, and it was re-erected in its original socket, found by the road near the bridge in the Stance Field.

It appears to have fallen again, and was removed to where it stands at present in the burial ground to SW of St. Columba's Chapel (NR 8160 9653). Iron braces hide some of the shaft. It must be one of the earliest of the medieval crosses.

J Drummond 1881; M Campbell and M Sandeman 1964.

NR 8160 9652. This cross standing 1,.8m high bears a crucifix on its S face.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (IA), 30 April 1973

NR 8159 9652. A cross as described in the previous information.

Surveyed at 1/10,000.

Visited by OS (BS), 14 April 1977.

(Former index no. 275). Descheduled.

Information from Historic Scotland, Certificate of Exclusion from Schedule dated 23 November 2010.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Kilmartin - St Columba's Episcopal Church.

Poltalloch.

Architect: 1852-54

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions