Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Baluachraig 1

Cup And Ring Marked Rock (Neolithic) - (Bronze Age)

Site Name Baluachraig 1

Classification Cup And Ring Marked Rock (Neolithic) - (Bronze Age)

Canmore ID 39453

Site Number NR89NW 13

NGR NR 83122 96959

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/39453

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilmichael Glassary
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes ( - 1977)

NR89NW 13 8312 9696.

(NR 8312 9697) Cup and ring marked rock. The surface bearing the principal sculptures is 10' square, and within a radius of 12 yds are two or three isolated patches of rock with a few cups and rings. (Information from G E Livock, July 1940)

J R Allen 1882; M Campbell and M Sandeman 1964

There are three flat rocks within a fenced area.

'A' measures 8.9m x 2.2m and is as illustrated.

'B' measures 1.8m in diameter and bears 6 cups and 1 cup and ring.

'C' measures 2.4m x 1.7m and bears 1 cup and 1 cup and ring.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (IA) 2 May 1973

'A' bears approx 80 cup and 20 cup-and-ring marks and 'B' bears 7 cups. The ring mentioned by OS (IA) was not evident.

Surveyed at 1/10,000.

Visited by OS (TRG) 1 April 1977

Activities

Field Visit (June 1985)

Situated within a protective enclosure in a pasture field 230 m NW of Dunchraigaig cairn (NR89NW 15), there are three cup-and-ring marked rock outcrops (Campbell and Sandeman 1964, no. 207; Morris 1977, 57-8).

(1) The largest and most profusely decorated rock-sheet bears some seventeen cups with double rings, fifteen cups with single rings, and at least 127 plain cupmarks.

(2) To the W of (1) there is an outcrop on which there are ten plain cupmarks.

(3) On an outcrop N of (1) there is one cup with single ring and a plain cupmark.

Visited June 1985

RCAHMS 1988

Note (27 February 2019)

Date Fieldwork Started: 27/02/2019

Compiled by: ScRAP

Location Notes: Located on the side of a gently SW sloping field within a fenced area built to enclose the rock art sites, with open views to the SW, SE and NW along the Kilmartin Glen. A dedicated pathway leads from the northern side of the enclosure around Dunchragaig cairn, along the W side of the main road and then W into the area of conservation. The site is well maintained by the local Historic Environment Scotland conservation team, who clean the panels annually, and an interpretation panel is available on site.

There are three rock art sites within the enclosed area: this record, Baluachraig 1, is the largest and most intensely decorated. Baluachraig 2 is located just to the north, approximately 2.5m distance; Baluachraig 3 is located to the west approximately 10m distance.

Panel Notes: A long, triangular panel, with it's widest section in the S, measures 8.5x4.2m, and has been extensively decorated with cup and cup and ring motifs. A total of 124 cup marks, 7 cup and complete single ring, 6 cup and partial single ring, 8 cup and complete double rings, 5 cup and partial double rings, 2 cup with a complete inner and partial outer rings, 1 large cup with a single complete ring, 1 cup with two complete rings with an extending tail from the outer ring, 1 cup and two complete rings with a tail extending from the inner to the outer ring, 1 cup with a tail and two large oval shaped cup marks were recorded across the surface of the panel.

The majority of the motifs are located beneath a section of the outcrop which is rougher in texture, except for 7 of the cup marks, the large cup with a single complete ring, 1 of the cups with complete double rings and the cup with two complete rings with a tail extending from the inner to the outer ring which are located at the N end of the panel. above the area of rougher rock. The surface of the rock has numerous fissures and cracks; the motifs appear to compliment and interplay with these natural features.

Additional Description: "NR89NW 13 8312 9696.

(NR 8312 9697) Cup and ring marked rock. The surface bearing the principal sculptures is 10' square, and within a radius of 12 yds are two or three isolated patches of rock with a few cups and rings. (Information from G E Livock, July 1940)

J R Allen 1882; M Campbell and M Sandeman 1964

There are three flat rocks within a fenced area.

'A' measures 8.9m x 2.2m and is as illustrated.

'B' measures 1.8m in diameter and bears 6 cups and 1 cup and ring.

'C' measures 2.4m x 1.7m and bears 1 cup and 1 cup and ring.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (IA) 2 May 1973

'A' bears approx 80 cup and 20 cup-and-ring marks and 'B' bears 7 cups. The ring mentioned by OS (IA) was not evident.

Surveyed at 1/10,000.

Visited by OS (TRG) 1 April 1977

Situated within a protective enclosure in a pasture field 230 m NW of Dunchraigaig cairn (No.48), there are three cup-and-ring marked rock outcrops (Campbell and Sandeman 1964).

(1) The largest and most profusely decorated rock-sheet "

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions