Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Fair Isle, The Rippack

Burnt Mound (Prehistoric)

Site Name Fair Isle, The Rippack

Classification Burnt Mound (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Fair Isle, Site 391

Canmore ID 3904

Site Number HZ27SW 5

NGR HZ 20852 70390

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/3904

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Shetland Islands
  • Parish Dunrossness
  • Former Region Shetland Islands Area
  • Former District Shetland
  • Former County Shetland

Archaeology Notes

HZ27SW 5 2085 7038.

(HZ 2085 7038) Tumulus (NR)

OS 6" map, Shetland, 2nd ed.,(1903).

This mound of burnt material, lies barely 100 yards NE of Kennaby, on the east side of a roadway crossing the area known as 'The Rippack'. Though considerably hollowed by excavation, it covers an area of about 50 feet by 40 feet, and rises to a height of about 3 feet.

The mound was partially examined some time prior to the year 1882, when a number of stone implements and a cist-like construction were discovered within it. The cist measured 2' 6" by 3' 6" and lay SE and NW. Three small mounds to the south of the main one are possibly nothing more than the overgrown heaps of excavation debris. The mound is on comparatively low ground, but there is neither burn nor well near it. (Stone implements now in the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland [NMAS] Accession nos.215-22).

J A Smith 1883; RCAHMS 1946.

This mound of burnt stones is as described by RCAHMS; there is a marshy hollow immediately to the north of the mound. No trace or information was found regarding finds and "cist" (probably a hearth or boiling tank).

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 2 June 1968.

Activities

Field Visit (18 August 1930)

Kennaby, The Rippack. This mound, which consists of the usual burnt material, lies barely 100 yds NE of Kennaby, on the E side of a rough roadway crossing the area known as ‘The Rippack’. Though considerably hollowed by excavation, it covers an area of about 50 ft by 40 ft, and rises to a height of about 3 ft. The mound, it appears, was partially examined some time prior to the year 1882, when a number of rude stone implements and a cist-like construction were discovered within it. These relics, it is said (Smith 1883, 293 ff), were of varied shape but reminded the finders of rude stone axes. ‘They were generally, however, more of a flattened and cylindrical shape, tapering less towards their extremities’. The cist measured 2 ft. 6 in. by 3 ft. 6 in., and lay S.E. and N.W. Three small mounds that now exist to the S. of the main one are possibly nothing more than the overgrown heaps of excavation debris. The mound is on comparatively low ground, but there is neither burn nor well near it.

RCAHMS 1946, visited 18 August 1930

OS 6" map, Shetland, 2nd ed.,(1903) ‘Tumulus’.

Field Visit (2 June 1968)

This mound of burnt stones is as described by RCAHMS; there is a marshy hollow immediately to the north of the mound. No trace or information was found regarding finds and "cist" (probably a hearth or boiling tank).

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 2 June 1968.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions