Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Campbeltown, Hall Street, Harbour

Harbour (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Campbeltown, Hall Street, Harbour

Classification Harbour (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Campbeltown Harbour; Campbeltown Loch

Canmore ID 38826

Site Number NR72SW 43

NGR NR 72215 20399

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/38826

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Campbeltown
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NR72SW 43.00 centred 72215 20399

NR72SW 43.01 NR 72142 20353 Harbour Wall

NR72SW 43.02 NR 72247 20495 Old Quay, Harbour Offices (Fish Market)

NR72SW 43.03 NR 72159 20483 Old Quay, Lifeboat Station

NR72SW 43.04 NR 72284 20447 to NR 72229 20510 to NR 72079 20454 Old Quay (Main Pier)

NR72SW 43.05 NR 72365 20386 to NR c. 72249 20271 New Quay (Pier)

NR72SW 43.06 NR 72272 20253 (New) Ferry Terminal

See also:

NR72SW 44 NR 72278 20790 Dalintober Pier

Comprises two jetties, of which the NW one, known as the Old Quay, was begun in 1722, and its neighbour, the New Quay, in 1754.

RCAHMS 1971.

(Location cited as NR 722 205) Campbeltown Harbour, mid 19th century. Formed by a large T-plan pier, the head of which was used by large steamers, and a narrow south pier, with an angled head, used by the Campbeltown and Machrihanish [Light] Railway (1906-32) for coal shipment. The shore between the piers is quayed.

On the main pier is a single-storey brick range of offices, stores and shelter, with a central 3-bay attic with dormer windows.

J R Hume 1977.

NR 7205 2044. A watching brief carried out on the waterfront exposed a 6m stretch of the Old Quay, dating to c 1722, at a depth of 1.5m below the present-day surface (3.56m OD). The W face and part of the core were exposed. Seven courses only survived, giving a total surviving height of 1.5m. The quay was constructed of granite, whinstone and sandstone, with an undressed rubble face. The quay wall was one stone thick, c 0.5m. Bonding was of clay, slate and small pebble snecking. (GUARD 695).

A full report has been deposited with the NMRS.

Sponsors: West of Scotland Water, George Leslie Ltd.

K Speller 1999.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions