Ugadale Point, Kintyre
Dun (Period Unassigned)
- Council Argyll And Bute
- Parish Campbeltown
- Former Region Strathclyde
- Former District Argyll And Bute
- Former County Argyll
NR72NE 9 7851 2851.
(NR 7851 2850) Fort (NR)
OS 6" map, Argyllshire, 2nd ed., (1924)
Dun. The remains of this dun occupy the summit of a rocky promontory which rises to a height of 3.5m above level ground to the W, and to 6m above the shore on all other sides. Sub-rectangular on plan, the dun measures about 17m by 13.5m internally. The wall has been completely destroyed by landslips on the N, but elsewhere it is represented by a stony bank 1.0m high and up to 4.5m thick; one short stretch of the inner face is visible in situ on the SSE. The original entrance, which is situated on the SSW and measures 1.2m in width, was cleared during excavations undertaken in 1939 (Fairhurst 1956). The gaps now visible in the wall on the E and W are probably secondary. The only feature in the interior is part of a rectangular building with rounded corners which is probably to be associated with the 16th-century silver coins discovered during the excavation. Other finds made at that time indicate that the history of the site may be similar to that of the dun at Kildonan Bay (NR72NE 5), where occupation probably began in the late 1st or early 2nd century AD and continued, with interruptions, into the medieval period.
H Fairhurst 1956; RCAHMS 1971, visited 1960.
The dun is as described and planned by RCAHMS (1971).
Surveyed at 1:10 000.
Visited by OS (JB) 8 November 1977.
NR 7851 2851 Site identified as part of a coastal zone assessment survey.
M Cressey, S Badger, 2005.