Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Macharioch Farm, Motte

Motte (Medieval)

Site Name Macharioch Farm, Motte

Classification Motte (Medieval)

Canmore ID 38691

Site Number NR70NW 3

NGR NR 72713 09417

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/38691

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Southend
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NR70NW 3 72713 09417

Motte [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, August 2010.

Location formerly entered as NR 7271 0941.

NR 726 094. An earthwork, presuambly a motte, is situated about 800m W of Macharioch Farm; it comprises a small natural mound, shaped like a truncated cone, which is partially enclosed by a ditch and outer bank. The flat-topped summit and sloping sides of the mound appear to have been artifically trimmed, and the ditch and bank have likewise been formed by the adaptation of existing features of natural origin. The ditch and bank appear formerly to have protected the mound on all sides except the N, where the steep natural fall of the ground makes such a provision unnecessary. At a point on its SE sector the ditch is interrupted by an entrance causeway 1.2m in width. The summit of the mound has a diameter of approximately 7.5m and an average height above the existing level of the ditch bottom of 2.1m. The ditch itselt is flat-bottomed and about 1.8m in width. Nothing is known about the history of this earthwork.

RCAHMS 1971, visited 1965.

NR 7271 0942. The motte is as described and planned by RCAHMS.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (JB), 3 October 1977.

Activities

Field Visit (28 July 1955)

Visited by RCAHMS (KAS) 28 July 1955.

Notebook p32.

Field Visit (17 May 1956)

Visited and planned [?] by RCAHMS (KAS) 17 May 1956.

Reference (1957)

This site is noted in the ‘List of monuments discovered during the survey of marginal land (1951-5)’ (RCAHMS 1957, xiv-xviii). The 286 monuments were listed by county, parish, classification and name, and the list included an indication of whether they had been planned (P), whether they were visible only as a cropmark (C), and whether they were worthy of preservation (*).

Drawings are catalogued to individual site records. Investigator's notebooks are availiable in the MS collection. Site descriptions are availiable in contemporary RCAHMS inventories, or in three typescript volumes availiable in the library.

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 24 October 2012

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions