Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Jura, Inverlussa, Killchianaig

Cemetery (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Site Name Jura, Inverlussa, Killchianaig

Classification Cemetery (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Canmore ID 38647

Site Number NR68NW 1

NGR NR 6447 8706

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/38647

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Jura
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NR68NW 1 6447 8706.

(NR 6447 8706) Killchianaig (NAT)

OS 6" map (1900)

This name applies to an enclosed burial ground about 3/4 mile S of Ardlussa.

Name Book 1878

Kilchianaig graveyard is typical of burying places now on the sites of former Celtic churches.

D Budge 1960

There was a chapel of St Catan on Jura.

H Scott 1923

There are no visible remains of a chapel and the burial-ground, which is of oblong plan, is enclosed by a wall of 19th-

century date. The earliest identifiable memorial is a small roughly-shaped cruciform stone of local slate, 1.02m in

height, which now serves as a headstone. The shaft tapers towards the head, where it has a width of 0.23m, while the

maximum width across the arms is 0.40m; the base of the shaft is tapered for fixing into the ground. This stone is

probably of medieval date. The earliest inscribed stone now visible is a recumbent slab of slate commemorating Malkum

Buie, who died in 1746. There are also a number of headstones of local slate.

The chapel appears to have been dedicated to a saint bearing the Irish name Cianag.

Visited August 1974

RCAHMS 1984

Kilchianaig (local spelling) graveyard is enclosed by a modern wall and is still in use. The earliest dated graveslabs are plain and undecorated, of the mid to late 18th century. There are no visible remains of a chapel, but it is traditionally believed that one existed here.

Surveyed at 1/10,000.

Visited by OS (JB) 11 May 1978

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions