Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Dun An Fhamhair

Dun (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Site Name Dun An Fhamhair

Classification Dun (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Canmore ID 38569

Site Number NR64SE 22

NGR NR 6804 4026

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/38569

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Killean And Kilchenzie
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NR64SE 22 6804 4026.

(NR 6804 4026) Dun an Fhamhair (Fort) (NR)

OS 6" map, (1924)

Traces of a wall or 'of some work of art' occur on the summit of a small, but very prominent, rocky hillock. It is traditionally said to be the site of an ancient castle and the name means 'The Giant's Castle'.

Name Book 1869.

No trace of this dun can now be seen.

RCAHMS 1971, visited 1960.

There is no trace of walling on the narrow, somewhat uneven summit of Dun an Fhamhair, which is overgrown with trees and dense vegetation. Probably the name derives from the natural "fortress-like" appearance of the rocky steep-sided hillock.

Visited by OS (J B) 6 December 1977.

Activities

Field Visit (10 June 1943)

This site was included within the RCAHMS Emergency Survey (1942-3), an unpublished rescue project. Site descriptions, organised by county, vary from short notes to lengthy and full descriptions and are available to view online with contemporary sketches and photographs. The original typescripts, manuscripts, notebooks and photographs can also be consulted in the RCAHMS Search Room.

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 10 December 2014.

Field Visit (26 July 1955)

Visited by RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions