Gigha, Achamore Estate, Achamore House
Architectural Fragment(s), Country House
Site Name Gigha, Achamore Estate, Achamore House
Alternative Name(s) Island Of Gigha, Auchamore House, Mansion House Of Gigha
Canmore ID 38541
Site Number NR64NW 30
NGR NR 64273 47866
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
- Council Argyll And Bute
- Parish Gigha And Cara
- Former Region Strathclyde
- Former District Argyll And Bute
- Former County Argyll
NR64NW 30.00 64273 47866
NR64NW 30.01 NR 64197 47226 Lodge
NR64NW 30.02 NR 64563 47788 Gates
For associated steading (NR 640 476), see NR64NW 32.
Although Achamore House itself was erected only in 1884, a number of earlier chimney-pieces of English provenance have been installed by the present proprietor, Lt-Col. Sir James Horlick, Bt. These comprise two moulded stone fireplaces with flat four-centred arch-heads, dating from the 16th century, and four richly decorated pine chimney-pieces of mid-18th century date.
RCAHMS 1971, visited June 1966.