Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Islay, Ballygrant, The Old Manse

Manse (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Islay, Ballygrant, The Old Manse

Classification Manse (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Kilmeny Parish Church, Manse; Telford Manse

Canmore ID 37703

Site Number NR36NE 31

NGR NR 38775 65658

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/37703

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Killarow And Kilmeny
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Architecture Notes

NS36NE 31 38775 65658

The Old Manse [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, July 2010.

For (associated) Kilmeny Parish Church (NR 38967 65730), see NR36NE 30.

This house stands some 185m SW of Kilmeny Parish Church [NR36NE 30] and faces NW. It is of a standard two-storeyed

design by Thomas Telford and was completed in 1828 at a contract price of #718. It consists of a plain two-storeyed

and gabled structure of three window bays with a hip-roofed and single-storeyed court of offices attached to the NE gable and a lean-to outshot at the rear. A single-storeyed range also formerly adjoined the SW angle.

The main block is of rectangular plan, measuring 12.7m in length by 6.15m transversely over walls 0.6m in average

thickness. The masonry is harled, and the window-margins and quoins are offset. It has a slated roof which terminates in plain copes and surmounting chimney-stacks. The two-storeyed portion contains three main apartments on each

floor served by an open-well stair at the rear. The fittings include a series of contemporary sunk-panelled doors,

architraves and window-shutters.

RCAHMS 1984, visited May 1978.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions