Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Islay, Ballygrant, Kilmeny Parish Church

Church (Period Unassigned), War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Islay, Ballygrant, Kilmeny Parish Church

Classification Church (Period Unassigned), War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Kilmeny And Ballygrant War Memorial

Canmore ID 37702

Site Number NR36NE 30

NGR NR 38967 65730

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/37702

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Killarow And Kilmeny
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NR36NE 30 38967 65730

Kilmeny Parish Church [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, July 2010.

For present Killarow parish church (in Bowmore, at NR 3115 5951), see NR35SW 2.

For Kilmeny Old Manse (NR 3879 6564), see NR36NE 31.

This church stands within a plantation about 400 m NNE of its medieval predecessor (NR36NE 7) and 800m SW of Ballygrant village. An earlier building was remodelled by Walter F Campbell ofislay, at a cost of #238, about 1828, when the adjacent parliamentary manse (NR36NE 31; RCAHMS 1984) was built to serve the N portion of the joint parish of Kilarrow and Kilmeny, which in 1849 became the quoad sacra parish of Kilmeny. (Higland Churches 6th Report; H Scott et al 1915-61) Further extensive alterations were made in the second half of the 19th century.

The building is constructed of lime washed rubble masonry with red sandstone dressings. It comprises a rectangular main block with a single-storeyed vestry at the rear and a gabled porch added to the centre of the front (NW) wall. The

original block measures 15.3m in length by 8.9m in width over all; it is gable-ended, and the SW gable is crowned by a

simple birdcage belfry which houses a bell and has a stepped pyramidal roof.

The porch, the fenestration and much of the interior date from the late 19th-century remodelling. The windows are

round-headed and incorporate a pair of three-light Venetian-style openings in the NW side-wall. The porch-window and

the lintelled doorway have hood-moulds, and the door-threshold appears to be an inverted block of V-jointed or

rusticated masonry in reuse. Inside the church, a pulpit with panelled front and balustraded stair stands at the NE end

fronting an arrangement of plain bench pews; a loft at the SW end is carried on wooden columns with stop-chamfered arrises.

RCAHMS 1984, visited August 1977.

Activities

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions