Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Islay, Duich Iron Bridge

Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Islay, Duich Iron Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 37649

Site Number NR35NW 11

NGR NR 303 554

NGR Description NR c.303 554

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Killarow And Kilmeny
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NR35NW 11 c.303 554

There are no visible remains of the cast-iron bridge which was described in 1811 as being light and elegant' and having

'stood several years'. (MacDonald 1811) It was erected at a cost of about #140, much of which was contributed by Walter Campbell of Shawfield and Islay. According to the same source, the bridge spanned 'a considerable stream' and was situated 'between Bowmore village and Laggan Bay'. The site of this bridge over a tributary of the River Duich is commemorated by the name 'An Drochaid laruinn' that has continued to be applied to its masonry-built successor, and J G MacNeill, writing in 1900, recorded that as a boy he had seen fragments of the iron bridge in his grandfather's house at Duich. (MacNeill 1900; Islay Stent Book 1890)

Visited May 1978



MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions