Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Islay, Traigh An Luig

Structure(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Islay, Traigh An Luig

Classification Structure(S) (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 37428

Site Number NR26SE 4

NGR NR 277 630

NGR Description NR c.277 630

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map


Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilchoman
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NR26SE 4 c.277 630.

"At Tralaig, on a heathy eminence that faces the sands are three deep hollows; their insides once lined with stone: these had been the watch towers of the natives to attend the motions of any invaders from the sea. Observe near them a great column of rude stone (? NR26SE 2). Pass by two deep channels, at present dry: these had been the harbour of the great Macdonald; had once piers, with doors to secure his shipping; a great iron hook, one of the hinges, having been found there. The vessels then in use were called Birlings... but by the size of the harbours,

it is plain that the navy of this potentate was not very considerable." (Pennant 1776).

It is conjected that Tralaig is the same as Traigh an Luig (NR 277 630), which Capt Graham Donald translated as "Beach of the Hollows" (Newall 1960) (see also NR26SE 6).

F Celoria 1959; F Newall 1960; T Pennant 1776.

No features of archaeological significance were noted during a limited inspection of the ground above Traigh an Luig sands, and no local information was obtained.

Visited by OS (J R L) 7 May 1978.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions