Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Islay, Port Charlotte, Lochindaal Distillery, Bonded Warehouses

Warehouse(S) (19th Century)

Site Name Islay, Port Charlotte, Lochindaal Distillery, Bonded Warehouses

Classification Warehouse(S) (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Loch Indaal; Youth Hostel

Canmore ID 37304

Site Number NR25NE 16

NGR NR 25265 58436

NGR Description Centred NR 25265 58436

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/37304

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilchoman
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NR25NE 16 centred 25265 58436

LOCHINDAAL DISTILLERY (Warehouses Listed Grade B) NR25NE/16 NR 2527 5841

19th century. Industrial 2 blocks. Rubble; larger block with 4 segmental roofs; small with 3 piended slate roofs. Small

windows. Distillery disused since 1930. Other buildings on W. side of road are ruinous.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

(Location cited as NR 251 584). Lochindaal Distillery, Port Charlotte, 19th century. This has been closed since 1930 but much survives, including two 1-storey blocks of bonded warehouses, one 3-bay and the other 4-bay. The latter is Belfast-roofed.

J R Hume 1977.

A RCAHMS photographic survey was undertaken, during October 1999, to enhance and augment the existing holdings of the National Monuments Record Scotland.

Visited by RCAHMS (MKO), July 1999

Site Management (6 May 2010)

One of two 19th century industrial blocks of bonded warehouses originally to the Lochindaal distillery. Single storey, rubble built walls with segmental Belfast roof, small windows. (Historic Scotland)

A photographic postcard of the Distillery, dated circa 1910, shows a range the single storey warehouses with piended slate roofs, it is possible these buildings were subsquently heighted and the Belfast roofs added at a later date.

Port Charlotte was founded in 1828 by Frederick Campbell of Islay as an agricultural and distillery settlement, named for his mother, Lady Charlotte Campbell (FA Walker). Lochindaal, an Islay Malt whisky distillery, founded in 1829 by Colin Campbell, was developed principally by the Sherriff family. It was acquired in 1929 by The Distillers' Company Ltd, and partly dismantled in that year. The malting range being then used by the Islay Creamery in 1976. (J Hume)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions