Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Dalmaik, Old Parish Church Of Drumoak

Church (17th Century)

Site Name Dalmaik, Old Parish Church Of Drumoak

Classification Church (17th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Dalmaik Church; Dalmayok; St Mayot's Church

Canmore ID 37097

Site Number NO89NW 3

NGR NO 81425 98529

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/37097

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Drumoak
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Kincardine And Deeside
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NO89NW 3.00 81425 98529

(NO 8142 9852) Church (NAT) (In Ruins)

OS 6" map, Aberdeenshire, 1st ed., (1865)

NO89NW 3.01 Centred NO 81429 98519 Churchyard

See also:

NO89NW 53.00 NO 81387 98558 Old Manse

For present parish church of Drumoak (NO 7923 9930), see NO79NE 60.

The church of Drumoak, dedicated to St. Mayota is mentioned in 1157. The old church is now a roofless ruin having been abandoned in 1837 (when the new church waw built). It is 17th century with reused 16th century materials and extensive 1737 alterations.

New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845; A Jervise 1861; Trans Aberdeen Eccles Soc 1903; H Scott et al 1915-61.

The gables survive but the walls in the north and south are only 3m. high. A notice claims that the church dates from 'ante 1062' and states that the walling was renovated in 1941.

Visited by OS (W D J), 27 November 1961.

The roofless ruin of this church, abandoned in 1837, stands within its walled burial-ground on the N bank of the River Dee; rectangular on plan, it measures 17.2m by 5.7m transversely within walls 0.8m in thickness. Although the core of the building and some of the surviving details appear to be medieval, the existing fabric is mainly of 17th-and 18th century date; external stairs provide access to galleries formerly at either end of the church.

The church of 'Dalmayok' was confirmed to the see of Aberdeen in 1157 and was dedicated to St. Mayot.

C Innes 1842; NSA 1845; A Jervise 1875-9; W Kelly 1889; H Scott et al 1915-61; J Cruikshank 1941; RCAHMS 1984, visited October 1983.

Architecture Notes

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Plans: 1/4" plan and elevations. 1/2" W elevation. 1/2" f.s. details of Belfry and Mouldings. Measured and drawn by James Munro. 1930-31 Student of Aberdeen School of Architecture. Drawings stored at County Surveyor's Office, Kirkwall, Orkney.

Site Management (28 September 1990)

Roofless, rectangular plan 56'6" x 18'11" internally. W bellcote, corbels for W. gallery and N stair SE window moulded, stair at E gable. Centre pair windows on S flank rebuilt mid 18th century. Renovated by County Council 1941. Letters L AS on N side are initials of Rev Alex Scroggy 1607-21. Henderson quotes a very useful description by Logan of the church when it was intact. (Historic Scotland)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions