Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dunnottar Castle, St Ninian's Chapel

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dunnottar Castle, St Ninian's Chapel

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Dunnottar Rock

Canmore ID 37000

Site Number NO88SE 11.12

NGR NO 88156 83863

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/37000

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Dunnottar
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Kincardine And Deeside
  • Former County Kincardineshire

Archaeology Notes

NO88SE 11.12 88156 83863

(NO 8815 8386) Chapel (NR)

OS 25" map, (1903)

St Ninian founded church on Dunnottar Rock in the 5th century. In 1276 the parish church of Dunothyr, which had succeeded St Ninian's church but retained the dedication, was consecrated on the rock. In 1297 the church was burnt by Wallace and the parochial place of worship was removed to its present site (NO88NE 15).

The present chapel is mainly 16th century but incorporates in the lower part of the S wall two windows from the older (13th century) church. Adjoining the chapel to the west and south is the kirkyard, about 175ft by 90, the solitary gravestone within which is dated 1685.

W D Simpson 1968.

St Ninian's Chapel, and graveyard, are as described by Simpson.

Resurveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (N K B), 15 December 1969.

Activities

Project (1 April 2015 - 31 March 2016)

Survey work undertaken to upgrade records of listed buildings by area.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions