Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.


Cowie Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Cowie Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Castle Of Cowie

Canmore ID 36900

Site Number NO88NE 21

NGR NO 8836 8713

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Fetteresso
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Kincardine And Deeside
  • Former County Kincardineshire

Archaeology Notes

NO88NE 21 8836 8713

(NO 8836 8714) Castle of Cowie (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map, (1928)

All that remains of Cowie Castle, said to have been a royal hunting castle, is a low stone wall with the remains of an offset course, close to the path. Watt (1914) states that the castle is erroneously supposed to have been built by Malcolm Canmore, but seems to imply its existence in the 11th century.

F C Eeles 1897; J C Watt 1914.

The remains of Castle of Cowie comprise one plinth course and one course of masonry, 6.0m in length, contained in a grass bank beside a footpath at NO 8835 8714. It runs across the promontory, which measures 37.0m NE to SW by 37.0m transversely, on which the castle undoubtedly stood. A deep trench has been cut through the NW corner of the promontory.

Wall surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (R D), 23 July 1965.

The remains of Cowie Castle stand on a sheer-sided coastal promontory 180m SSW of Cowie Chapel (NO88NE 22). A wall, 28.3m in length, 1.8m in thickness and 1.7m in height, is drawn across the neck of the promontory, which measures 47m from WNW to ENE by 25m transversely. The wall is of mortared stone and has a heavy chamfered base plinth. There are no visible remains of internal structures; a 19th century trench cuts the promontory on the NNE side.

NSA 1845; A Jervise 1861; J C Watt 1914; RCAHMS 1984, visited October 1983.


Scottish Castle Survey 1988; N Bogdan and I B D Bryce 1991.

(Scheduled as Castle of Cowie).

Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 13 June 2001.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions