Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kinghornie

Chapel (Period Unassigned), Cropmark(S) (Period Unknown), Spring (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Kinghornie

Classification Chapel (Period Unassigned), Cropmark(S) (Period Unknown), Spring (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Chapel Well

Canmore ID 36886

Site Number NO87SW 9

NGR NO 8391 7261

NGR Description NO 8391 7261 to NO 8390 7256

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/36886

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Bervie
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Kincardine And Deeside
  • Former County Kincardineshire

Archaeology Notes

NO87SW 9 8391 7261 to 8390 7256.

(NO 8391 7261) Chapel (NR) (Site of)

(NO 8390 7256) Chapel Well (NR)

OS 6" map (1959)

The site of a chapel said to have been founded by David II in 1341. No remains exist but the site is well-known and the ruins still stood at the end of the 18th century. The Chapel Well is a spring.

Name Book 1864

The chapel does not appear in the Register of Ministers for 1567.

A Jervise 1882

Enclosure visible on AP's (OS 67/287/028-9, flown 1967).

(Undated) information in NMRS.

No trace of this chapel: the Chapel Well remains only as a slight seepage in a bank with virtually no flow.

Visited by OS (NKB) 21 December 1967

Oblique aerial photography (RCAHMSAP 2001) has recorded the cropmarks of an L-shaped ditch on a promontory on which there is recorded a chapel site. The feature is also recorded on vertical aerial photographs (OS 67/287/028-9, flown 1967), and may be associated with two pits inside, and perhaps further linear cropmarks immediately to the NW.

Information from RCAHMS (SMDG) 7 January 2003

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions