Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Inverbervie, Spring Works

Flax Mill (19-20th Century), Jute Mill (19-20th Century), Watermill (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Inverbervie, Spring Works

Classification Flax Mill (19-20th Century), Jute Mill (19-20th Century), Watermill (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 36877

Site Number NO87SW 47

NGR NO 8298 7275

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/36877

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Bervie
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Kincardine And Deeside
  • Former County Kincardineshire

Archaeology Notes

NO87SW 47 8298 7295

(Location cited as NO 829 729). Spring Works, built 1885. A small 6-bay block of weaving sheds, now a store. The rest of the complex has been destroyed by fire. The wire and wood frames used for weathering the jute can still be seen. Originally a flax mill, later jute.

J R Hume 1977.

Activities

Publication Account (2013)

The first flax spinning mill in Scotland, using Kendrew and Porthouse’ patent, started here in 1787. There are several small water-powered mills and their warehouses dot the haugh, the valley below the town New Bervie, off Cowoff Cowgate, NO 8323 7283, NO87SW 68 1887; Pitcarry, by 1820, Upper, 1826 (NO 82368 73418, NO87SW 50), and Lint Mill 1832 (below Jubilee bridge), followed by three small steam powered mills up in the town: Laurel Mill (Church Street, 1877), Spring Works / Klondike Mill (warehouses off High Street, 1885, now a bus garage), Craigview Mill (High Street, 1907; closed 1992, replaced by a housing development.

There were three steam powered flax mills in nearby towns: Johnshaven, (1896, M13), Selbie in Gourdon (1908, closed 1997, demolished) and Invercarron, Stonehaven (1914, demolished). Selbie Works was the second last flax/ jute mill in Scotland, and its ability to switch from one material to another made it regarded as a barometer of the industry. These mills were able to operate as part of the Dundee industry thanks to the rail connection. Also see M12.

Inverbervie Old Bridge (NO 83143 7290) was built in 1797-9 by James Burn, 102ft (31.1m) span and 80ft (24.4m) high with vaulted embankments, chambers in the abutments reputedly a prison. It was bypassed by the curved new reinforced concrete 7-span Jubilee Bridge in 1935-6. At one end is a scale replica of the Cutty Sark figurehead. Hercules Linton, her designer, was born here.

M Watson, 2013

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions