Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Inverbervie

Burgh (Medieval), Landing Point (Period Unassigned), Village (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Inverbervie

Classification Burgh (Medieval), Landing Point (Period Unassigned), Village (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Bervie

Canmore ID 36875

Site Number NO87SW 45

NGR NO 830 725

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/36875

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Bervie
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Kincardine And Deeside
  • Former County Kincardineshire

Archaeology Notes

NO87SW 45 830 725.

Bervie was erected a burgh in 1341.

G S Pryde 1965; RCAHMS 1982c.

Listed in the 17th century among 'little shores for fisher-boats', Bervie had then been a fishing-town, with landings on the beach, since before living memory, and is marked on Blaeu's map. In 1794, however, the fishermen had moved to Gourdon (NO87SW 46) and smuggling, also rife, was also in decline. The concentration of shipping at Gourdon was again noted in 1837. It is interesting to find the former status of Bervie as a fishing-village being based in part on archaeological evidence, through the chance excavation of fishing gear and hooks.

A Graham 1979.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions