Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Mergie House

Lairds House (Period Unassigned), Walled Garden (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Mergie House

Classification Lairds House (Period Unassigned), Walled Garden (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) House Of Mergie; Stanehoose Of Mergie

Canmore ID 36568

Site Number NO78NE 2

NGR NO 7963 8864

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/36568

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Glenbervie
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Kincardine And Deeside
  • Former County Kincardineshire

Archaeology Notes

NO78NE 2.00 7963 8864.

NO78NE 2.01 Garden House

A probably 17th century mansion, three storeys high and harled, with an apparently later stair-wing projecting centrally southwards. Corbelled out of the centre of the north front is a stair-tower with very small windows or shot-holes filled in and harled over. Originally the mansion of a large estate 'The Stone-house of Mergie' is on record in 1590, with 'the fortalice thereof' (Tranter 1962-70).

Associated with Mergie house (a listed building of 17th century date) there are a number of garden features, some of which may date to the early 18th century. A walled terrace extends along the S-facing slope 60m SW of the house, and at either end of the terrace there is a two-storeyed garden house. A walled garden on the slope 110m NNW of the house has a chamfer-arised gateway.

N Tranter 1962-70; RCAHMS 1984, visited January 1984.

The maps of Garden (1776) and Johnson (1822) refer to the house simply as 'Mergie' and apply the name ' Stonehouse' to a farm 2.66km to the WSW (NO 7703 8793). The farm has been reduced to a cottage but still bears the name 'Stonehouse'.

Listed.

Scottish Castle Survey 1988; N Bogdan and I B D Bryce 1991.

Architecture Notes

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Scottish Record Office

Erecting additions to mansion house #68.3.2

1858 GD105/782

Activities

Standing Building Recording (7 August 2015 - 11 August 2015)

A Level 1 standing building survey was carried out on 7 and 11th August 2015 and the watching brief on 11th and 26th August 2015. At least three phases of development of the house were recorded but the area around the house had been disturbed previously and the watching brief revealed no further structures. It is recommended that no further archaeological work is required during the current planning application.

Alison Cameron, Cameron Archaeology, 2015

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions