Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Stirling, Albany Crescent

Dwelling(S) (19th Century)

Site Name Stirling, Albany Crescent

Classification Dwelling(S) (19th Century)

Canmore ID 364211

Site Number NS79SE 998

NGR NS 79458 94507

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/364211

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Stirling
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Activities

Construction (1897)

Under construction 1897.

See Dictionary Scottish Architects online resource [accessed: 08 April 2020].

Information from Survey and Recording section (MMcD), Heritage Directorate, HES, 08 April 2020.

Destruction (1965)

Albany Crescent was designed by the architect John Allan.The crescent of was demolished in 1965.

See http://www.stirlingarchives.scot/2016/09/13/john-allan-architect-stirling-buildings-1893-1911/?LMCL=Ayi1jg, [accessed: 02/04/2020] and https://stirlingplan.wordpress.com/2017/10/30/albany-crescent/, [accessed: 02/04/2020].

Information from Survey and Recording Section (M.McDonald), Heritage Directorate, HES, 03 April 2020.

Note

Albany Crescent was designed by the architect John Allan, who received permission to build in October 1896. It was located at the south west quadrant of what is now Laurencecroft Roundabout (Ordnance Survey 25-inch map, Stirlingshire, 1947, sheet nXI.15).

Built as terraced dwellings, the development consisted of two blocks of three houses on the curve of the Back O'Hill Road and the north end of the continuation of Back O'Hill which became Lower Bridge Street.

Each house was of two storeys in height and two rooms in depth. The ground floor consisted of a 'front room', kitchen, scullery and a short hallway accessing the first floor bedrooms (two), 'closet' and a bathroom.There was also a small back yard.

Both blocks were demolished in 1965. As with many Allan buildings, inspirational plaques carrying symbols were placed on the front elevation of each block.

See http://www.stirlingarchives.scot/2016/09/13/john-allan-architect-stirling-buildings-1893-1911/?LMCL=Ayi1jg, [accessed: 02/04/2020] and https://stirlingplan.wordpress.com/2017/10/30/albany-crescent/, [accessed: 02/04/2020].

Information from Survey and Recording Section (M.McDonald), Heritage Directorate, HES, 03 April 2020.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions