Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Montrose, Railway Place, 1-4 Caledonian House

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Montrose, Railway Place, 1-4 Caledonian House

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Montrose Harbour Station; Montrose Station (C.r); Montrose, Caledonian Rly Station; Montrose, Former Station Including Boundary Walls

Canmore ID 36257

Site Number NO75NW 43

NGR NO 71708 57396

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/36257

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Montrose
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO75NW 43 71708 57396

Not to be confused with (North British Rly.) Montrose Station (NO 7118 5798), for which see NO75NW 42.00.

NMRS REFERENCE

Opened 17/9/1849 ( Aberdeen Railway)

Closed 30/4/1934.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

(Location cited as NO 717 574). Montrose Harbour Station, opened 1848 by the Aberdeen Rly. Formerly a single-platform terminal station. The main building is a 2-storey, 3-bay structure with 1-storey, 4-bay wings. The ground-floor openings are all round-headed. Part now occupied as dwelling house. All other buildings demolished.

J R Hume 1977.

This station was the Montrose terminal of the Caledonian Rly. branch lines serving Strathmore and the Mearns. Opened (as Montrose Station) by the Aberdeen Rly. on 17 September 1849, directly superceding an unlocated predecessor which was opened by the same company on 1 February 1848. It was closed to regular passenger traffic by the London, Midland and Scottish Rly. on 30 April 1934, trains being diverted to the present station (NO75NW 42.00).

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 26 September 2000.

R V J Butt 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions