Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Craig House

Castle (Medieval), Country House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Craig House

Classification Castle (Medieval), Country House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Craiges House; Craig Castle; Craiges Castle; The Craig; House Of The Craigs; House Of The Craiges

Canmore ID 36228

Site Number NO75NW 19

NGR NO 70285 56243

NGR Description NO 70285 56243 and NO 70309 56235

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/36228

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Craig
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO75NW 19.00 70285 56243 and 70309 56235

(NO 7028 5623) Craig House (NR)

(NO 7032 5621) Castle (NR) (remains of)

OS 1:10000 map (1975).

NO75NW 19.01 NO 70333 56217 Gatehouse

NO75NW 19.02 NO 70334 56231 Stables

NO75NW 19.03 NO 70279 56274 Walled Garden

NO75NW 19.04 NO 70409 56092 South Gates

NO75NW 19.05 NO c. 702 563 Dovecot

EXTERNAL REFERENCE

Scottish Record Office

House of the Craiges. Contract between Mr James Ogilvie of Cluny and Robert Forrester, plasterer in Dewhouse, regarding work to be done. Additional note on the building of the house.

1691 GD16/27/96

(Undated) information IN NMRS.

Craig House was built in 1637 on part of the footings and incorporating part of the remains of its 16th century predecessor, Craig Castle.

The original building has been an open square in plan with an elongated outer courtyard attached on the east. Two old towers with corbelled parapets and crow-stepped gablets, still occupying the SE and SW angles of the inner courtyard and the enclosing wall stretches between them. The entrance to the inner courtyard has been near the SE tower. The gateway of the outer courtyard with round flanking towers survives on the south.

Craig House is on the L-plan, two storeys and an attic in height, and occupies the north and west ranges of the original courtyard. It bears its date of construction above the entrance on the east wall of the west wing.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1891.

Generally as described the building remains in a fair state of preservation and the house is occupied.

Visited by OS (JLD) 26 June 1958.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions