Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kincardine

Burgh (Medieval)

Site Name Kincardine

Classification Burgh (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) St Catherine's Burying Ground

Canmore ID 36120

Site Number NO67SE 5

NGR NO 667 747

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/36120

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Fordoun
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Kincardine And Deeside
  • Former County Kincardineshire

Archaeology Notes

NO67SE 5 667 747.

(NO 666 748) Site of (NAT) Kincardine (NR)

(County Town 1531-32) (NAT).

(NO 6695 7496) East Port (NR) (Site of).

(NO 6648 7451) West Port (NR) (Site of).

(NO 6666 7474) Cross (NR) (Site of).

(NO 6666 7462) St Catherine's Burying Ground (NR).

OS 6" map, (1959)

The site of the town of Kincardine, whose origin is presumably connected with the building of the 13th century castle (NO67SE 10), and which was created county town in 1531-2. It continued in this capacity until the end of the 16th century when Stonehaven took over in consequence of Kincardine's having neither Tolbooth nor lodgings fit for the accommodation of officials of the justiciary. After this the town seems to have deteriorated to such an extent that by 1789 only a few houses remained in the vicinity of the two ports and the cross. By 1863 these too had disappeared.

The sites of the East and West Ports represent the extremities of the town on the highway between Kincardine Castle (NO67NE 10) and Fettercairn. The market cross, which was extant in 1572, is said to have stood at the published site until it was removed to Fettercairn in the mid-18th century (but see NO67SE 8). St Catherine's Burying Ground was the graveyard of the Chapel of St Catherine of Sienna of which no trace exists, and of which no dedicatory date is known. The advowson is on record in 1532 and 1637. The only remaining gravestones bear the dates 1739 and 1786.

It is surrounded by a stone wall within which is a row of trees.

The sites of these features were taken from an Estate Map of 1789; and the proprietor, in 1863, Sir J S Forbes, who remembered some of the buildings of the town being removed, was the authority for the positioning of the town name (Ordnance Survey Name Book [ONB] 1863).

Name Book 1863; A Jervise 1880-5; New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845; W Cramond 1894; A C Cameron 1899; J C Watt 1914.

No trace of Kincardine. St Catherine's Burying Ground, now disused, was in a field of standing crop at the time of investigation and could not be visited, but according to the farmer, only one gravestone remains.

Visited by OS (R L) 18 August 1971.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions