Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Richmond Park

Searchlight Battery (Second World War)

Site Name Richmond Park

Classification Searchlight Battery (Second World War)

Alternative Name(s) Ops No 1940 C236 (Pko38b)

Canmore ID 360149

Site Number NS66SW 1076

NGR NS 604 631

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/360149

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Activities

Note (17 September 2018)

Nothing can now be seen in Richmond Park of a World War Two searchlight emplacement which is noted in a document held by The National Archives at Kew (WO 166/7369). It was one of about 150 searchlight batteries that were constructed to protect the industries in the centre of Glasgow and along the banks of the River Clyde from aerial attack by the Luftwaffe during WWII.

Information from HES, Survey and Recording (ATW, AKK) 17 October 2018.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions