Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Shielhill

Searchlight Battery (Second World War)

Site Name Shielhill

Classification Searchlight Battery (Second World War)

Alternative Name(s) Ops 1940 C514 (Pko27c)

Canmore ID 359815

Site Number NS27SW 118

NGR NS 24191 71887

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/359815

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Inverclyde
  • Parish Inverkip
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Inverclyde
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Activities

Field Visit (23 August 2017)

The remains of this World War Two searchlight battery are situated on a W-facing scarp above the Shielhill Glen, about 15m W of a bridge spanning the Greenock Cut (NS27SW 86). The battery was one of about 150 that were constructed to protect the industries in the centre of Glasgow and along the banks of the River Clyde from aerial attack by the Luftwaffe (WO 166/7369).

The remains comprise three tree- and grass-grown concrete building platforms that are set on three terraces, one above another. Each platform measures about 11m from NNW to SSE by 7.5m transversely and up to 1m high. Concrete steps leading from the upper to the middle terrace and from the middle to the lower terrace border their N side, but only the upper flight is well-preserved.

Visited by HES, Survey and Recording (ATW, AKK) 23 August 2017.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions