Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Fithie

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Fithie

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Canmore ID 35861

Site Number NO65SW 5

NGR NO 6349 5447

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/35861

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Farnell
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO65SW 5 6349 5447.

(NO 6349 5447) Castle (NR) (site of)

OS 6" map, (1970)

The remains of the Castle of Fithie, mentioned in the early 17th century, are said to be incorporated in the cottage on the site (Warden 1880-5, Jervise 1861) which is roofed but empty.

The 7.0m long and 2.0m high easternmost portion of the SE wall is constructed of old masonry and includes a doorway with early quoins, but the windows are modern. In spite of its thickness of 1.0m, it does not give the impression of being the remains of a castle and may only be built from the stones of an early building. The rest of the cottage is modern.

The lands of Fithie were held by a family of that name from the 13th to the 17th century.

A Jervise 1861; Name Book 1860; A J Warden 1880-5; Visited by OS (J L D) 23 June 1958.

The masonry is undoubtedly re-used from an earlier building perhaps of Late Medieval date. The thickness of the wall has probably been dictated by elements of the masonary which had been built into the house.

RCAHMS 1978.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions