Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

Bonnyton

Castle (Medieval), Dovecot (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Bonnyton

Classification Castle (Medieval), Dovecot (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Bonnyton Castle

Canmore ID 35717

Site Number NO65NE 7

NGR NO 6570 5590

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/35717

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Maryton
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO65NE 7 6570 5590 and 6595 5583.

(NO 6570 5590) Castle (NR) (site of)

(NO 6595 5583) Dovecot (NR) (remains of)

OS 1/10,000 map, (1972)

The site of the castle of Bonnyton which is said to have been surrounded by a ditch. It belonged to the Wood family.

The Castle fell down in 1785 and its foundation was visible in 1833 but had disappeared by c.1860. The moat was also traceable in 1833.

Two heraldic panels dated 1666 which is assumed to be the date of erection, are inserted into the farm buildings.

Statistical Account (OSA) 1793; New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845; Name Book 1860; A J Warden 1880-5.

No trace of either the castle or the moat remains. The castle must have been situated a short distance NW of the cottage at NO 6565 5588 where the ground is elevated. A hollow lies east of the cottage. On the west is a scarp 1.5 - 2.0m high which continues round on the north for c.75m, decreasing in height. A modern drainage ditch runs at the base of this scarp on the north. There is no trace of bank or ditch on the NE. On the SE is an overgrown ditch 4.5m wide and 0.5m deep which may have been part of the original moat, but looks more like an old irrigation ditch, especially as this area is very low lying. On the south is a short stretch of scarp but no ditch. At No 6619 5575 are the two armorial panels built into the wall of a farm-building. Only one is dated and that 1607 not 1667 as stated. There are also three ornamental skew-putts.

The dovecot is a ruinous, rectangular lean-to structure with crow-steps which may date from the 17th century.

Visited by OS (J L D) 24 June 1958.

For Bonnyton Doocot see NO65NE 127.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions