Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Easdale, Fang, Quarry

Slate Quarry

Site Name Easdale, Fang, Quarry

Classification Slate Quarry

Alternative Name(s) Sgeir Na Faing

Canmore ID 353996

Site Number NM71NW 118

NGR NM 73500 17006

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilbrandon And Kilchattan
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll



The expansion of quarrying on the north and west parts of Easdale took place between 1871 and 1899. This now flooded quarry, along with NM71NW 116 and NM71NW 117, is depicted and named on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey 25-inch map (Argyllshire, surveyed 1898, published 1899, sheet CXXI.7).

It is not depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey 25-inch map (Argyllshire, surveyed 1871, published 1871, sheet CXXI.7). By 1899 it covers an area of some 1800 square metres (0.44 acres). It has also been connected to the tramway system (NM71NW 127) and is associated with buildings NM71NW 118.02 and structures NM71NW 118.01 and NM71NW 118.03 and the slate waste tip immediately to the south (centred NM73468 16963)..

As with other coast quarries on Easdale, this quarry was below sea level at the maximum extent of its working life. It has a retaining wall (see NM71NW 181.03). There is evidence that this quarry was still being worked in 1904.

Generally, quarrying on Easdale had ceased by 1914.

NRHE, MS/8087/3

Visited by HES, Survey and Recording Section, (MMD) 9 September 2015.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions