Old House Of Cambo
- Council Fife
- Parish Kingsbarns
- Former Region Fife
- Former District North East Fife
- Former County Fife
NO61SW 1 6035 1148
(NO 6035 1148) Cambo (NAT)
OS 6" map (1919)
For successor and present Cambo House (NO 60375 11478), see NO61SW 20.00.
The old house of Cambo, which occupied the site of the present mansion, was destroyed by fire on 8th July 1878.
The history of the estate can be traced back to the 12th century. William the Lion (1265) gave a charter of the lands to Robert de Newenham and his descendants adopted the disignation 'de Cambhou.' Sir John de Cambhou, about 1302, "leased from Isabella de Vesci the dues from vessels entering the harbour of Crail...and this suggests that he had then taken up his residence permantently at Cambo, which is in the neighbourhood of the burgh. After being captured by the English at the battle of Methven he was hanged at Newcastle in 1306. "As it is expressly declared that he had then no lands in England it is thus made certain that he had settled in Fife before this date."
A H Millar 1895
The lease of the manor of 'Cammo' is granted to 'Thomas Myretoun' by a royal charter dated at Holyrood House, Edinburgh, 24th April 1599.
Reg Magni Sig Reg Scot
There are now no traces of the old house of Cambo. The present mansion (NO61SW 20) now occupies its site.
Visited by OS (WDJ) 3 September 1968