Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Balnacraig House

Lairds House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Balnacraig House

Classification Lairds House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Ballogie Estate

Canmore ID 35271

Site Number NO59NE 4

NGR NO 58024 98278

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/35271

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Aboyne And Glentanar
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Kincardine And Deeside
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NO59NE 4.00 58024 98278

NO59NE 4.01 58104 98212 Steading

(NO 581 982) A series of site visits in advance of and during renovation works between November 2002 and September 2003 permitted an analytical assessment of this structure. Three principal phases were identified: the original construction of the mansion house and two flanking wings forming a U-shaped court; a major reordering of c 1800, including the reconstruction of the W wing; and a further remodelling associated with tenant farmer occupation in the earlier 20th century.

Beneath later internal linings the mansion house was found to be remarkably well preserved, with much surviving evidence as to the internal arrangements at ground, first and attic floor levels. Fragments of the original stair were identified within the central bay and, within the first-floor rooms to the E and W, the remains of a scheme of false panelling (plain plastered panels within wooden framing) was revealed, as well as evidence for box beds. Remains of five original fireplace surrounds were exposed, three heavily bolection-moulded, one of which retained well-preserved painted marbling. Floor and roof structures were largely complete.

A large kitchen fireplace was revealed in the S gable wall of the W range, and external stripping of the W facade of the E wing showed this to be largely original, with a central entrance and a window on either side.

Archive to be deposited in the NMRS.

Sponsor: Ballogie Estates Enterprises.

T Addyman 2003

Architecture Notes

(NO 5802 9827) Balnacraig House, 1673 with 18th century wintgs, forecourt and garden walls. The east wing has a 20th century mansard roof (HBD list No. 10).

The house, a residence of Charles, first Earl of Aboyne, was threatened with burning by a party of military in 1746 but was spared (NSA 1845).

New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845.

Now known as Balnacraig Farm, the house, a plain rectangular non-castellated 'lairds House', as described by HBD is still occupied and in good condition.

Visited by OS (RL) 8 June 1972.

Listed.

Scottish Castle Survey 1988; N Bogdan and I B D Bryce 1991.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions