Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Pricing Change

New pricing for orders of material from this site will come into place shortly. Charges for supply of digital images, digitisation on demand, prints and licensing will be altered. 

 

Finzean, Smithy

Smithy (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Finzean, Smithy

Classification Smithy (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 350607

Site Number NO59SE 22.04

NGR NO 59156 91619

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/350607

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Bluesky International Limited 2025. Public Sector Viewing Terms

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Birse
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Kincardine And Deeside
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Site Management (7 April 2011)

Square-plan kiln with corrugated steel and boarded timber lean-to additions; formerly wood fired, now steam operated. Door flanked by window to W; cast-iron fire box access to S under corrugated lean-to; timber lean-to Smiddy to E, pulleys, belt-driven metal lathes and bellows for forge still in place (restored 1999); N elevation obscured by hill slope. Flat steel sheeting roof with timber battens. Interior: slatted floor with pipework below. Coped, square-plan red brick stack on granite rubble base to N of Kiln.

The Finzean Sawmill and Turning Mill, on the N bank of the River Feugh, is a remarkable survival in full working order. The sawmill, and the site of the Bucket Mill were established in the early 19th century to exploit the Glen Ferrick pine woods. From the 1830s to 1871, the sawmill was occupied by a range of different timber contractors who were harvesting timber on Finzean Estate. During this period the sawmiller was Charles Young. In 1871 the operation of the Sawmill passed to Alexander Duncan, who had built the Finzean Turning Mill in the 1830s on the outflow from the sawmill. The Sawmill and Turning Mill is still operated by a member of the Duncan family. In 1999, the ownership of the mills passed from Finzean Estate to Birse Community Trust. Extensive restoration work has been carried out on the mills using local timber milled at the sawmill. (Historic Scotland)

Activities

Note (April 2016)

This blacksmith shop or smithy is where metal was worked using heat (in a forge or hearth) to change it from solid iron into malleable material for making into horseshoes, machine parts, mending metal pulley wheels and repairing agricultural implements. The building is of wood with a corrugated iron roof, with one acccess door in the south wall. The smithy is built into the slope, reusing rubble stone walling for its north wall. The north wall is 'blind' (no windows or doors) with its west wall formed by the exterior wall of the wood-drying kiln adjacent. The smithy contains a rebuilt hearth, drive shaft with pulley wheels (largely intact) and several lathes for working metal and wood.

This building is shown on the Ordnance Survey 25-inch plan (Aberdeenshire, 1925 (published), sheet 094.13) but is not appear to be shown on Ordnance Survey maps prior to this. It was photographed by HES as a part of a survey of the sawmill, turning mill, smithy and kiln group of buildings at Finzean.

Visited by HES Survey and Recording Section (MMD), 5 May 2016.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions